Torrance News Torch

The Student News Site of Torrance High School

Torrance News Torch

Torrance News Torch

Torrance Preps for CIF Push

Final games against West and South will determine the Tartar’s postseason fate

Torrance football has gone 4-4 so far this year, and with only 2 games left in the season making CIF still seems incredibly possible for the Torrance team. On Friday October 20, 2023 Tartar football will be facing West who are 1-7 overall, and the following week on Friday October 27, 2023 the Tartars will be going up against the South Spartans who are 3-5. These final games will essentially be the defining factor for Tartar football’s fate this year.  Torrance, West and South have all lost to North and Lawndale and we have all beaten El Segundo.  

“We’re all really confident that we’re going to make the playoffs. We just have to lock in and not mess around…we are going to be in the playoffs!” assures Varsity running back Malikai Johnson.

In preparation for this feat the Tartars have been practicing diligently to ensure triumph in the upcoming weeks. In order to ensure that both offense and defense can both receive their full attention to be executed to both the coaches’ and team’s best ability they have divided practice into “offensive and defensive days”.

Varsity captain Anthony Bushmeyer states, “[dividing our days] allows us to focus more on the individual things because offense has stuff to work on, defense has stuff to work on, and trying to cram it all in one day doesn’t allow us to get that proper focus. “ 

Putting all of their resources into practice this week, the team is setting themselves up for an amazing game on Friday with the intent to win, not just for themselves but for the entire Torrance High School student body and staff. Johnson conveys that since their recent loss, the team has altered their mentality; they are “locked in and improving each week.” Thus, as game day approaches Tartar Football grows more and more eager to play.