Signing Day

Signing Day

On Thursday, April 11th, 7 senior athletes from different varsity teams assembled in the big gym of Torrance High to sign to their respective colleges including: Jared Galang, Dontya Bell, Emily Lee, Jackie Sandy, Kara Caropino, and Lisa Truchin.

Here is more information about where our seniors signed off too:

Baseball

Jared Galang, the Varsity Torrance Baseball pitcher, was thrilled to sign to play division 1 baseball at Fresno State. After spending his time with Torrance climbing the ranks and exceeding his efforts from the season prior, Galang currently holds a top 100 spot nationally and a top 10 spot in the CIF southern section for strikeouts.

“I’m just really grateful for the opportunity I was given, not just for baseball but for my academics.” Galang remarked.

Golf

Dontya Bell, a Varsity Torrance Boys Golf player, signed to play Division 2 at CSU Dominguez Hills. Bell has been playing golf since 8 years old and joined the THS golf team as a sophomore; he has been the THS #1 golf player for the last 3 years, as a junior he had a sub-40 scoring average and was awarded Team MVP and First Team All Ocean League honors.

“I reached out to a lot of coaches, and for one of them to believe in me and give me an opportunity to play in college means a lot to me,” Bell said.

After dedicating 7 years of her life to learning and playing golf, Emily Lee signed to play golf at Texas Tech University. A phenomenal player with THS, Lee received the THS Blanket Award 3 times—from sophomore to senior year—and won all-league player of the year as a freshman, and maintained first-team all-league all four years.

Lee explained how she got here today: “It’s just a testament—to all the athletes that signed here today—to the hard work and dedication that we put into our sport.”

Soccer

Jayden Black, a phenomenal soccer defensive player for the Torrance High Varsity Girls Soccer team, has committed to Clarke University in Iowa. After 4 years of playing with THS, Black has amassed 11 Player of the Game awards, a Daily Breeze Player of the Week award, and an all-area first-team award this year. From 2020-2024, Black has accumulated 89 points for 35 goals and 19 assists, over half of said points and goals culminating from this year alone: one of the many reasons she qualified in the top 60 for goals in the southern section of California.

Black shows appreciation for her derived work ethic: “Working hard is never easy, but looking at how far I’ve made it I wouldn’t trade it for anything…I’ll have to keep working hard to prove myself, especially at the college level.”

Softball

Jackie Sandy, THS pitcher and outfielder, has committed to play Division 2 softball for Buffalo State University in Virginia. Sandy started playing softball at 6 years old and ever since has fallen in love with the family and structure the games provide. As a Tartar, Sandy has proved herself a valiant player; in fact, early this season in a game against 5th ranked California team the Murrieta Mesa Rams Sandy, engaged in a pitcher’s duel in the last inning. Though the Tartars did lose this game, Sandy remained determined and would not back down, this mentality likely led to acquiring her position with Buffalo State.

Sandy pronounces immense gratitude for her commitment to BSU: “It’s an amazing opportunity. I’m so glad to get the chance to play at the collegiate level, it took a lot of time and dedication to get here and it wasn’t easy at all but I’m excited for the opportunity and it’s only starting now.”

Kara Caropino, THS Infielder committed to play at Madonna University in Michigan. She started playing softball at 5 years old, and hasn’t stopped since! Caropino has earned Easton/NFCA High School All-America Scholar Athlete Award 2 years in a row and earned second all-league honors sophomore year. 

“I’m super excited about the opportunity I have been given to continue to play softball while pursuing forensic science. It took a lot of hard work and dedication but I’m extremely excited to be given this opportunity” Caropino expressed.

Lisa Truchin, pitcher for the Varsity softball team, is committed to University of Maine, Farmington to play division 3 softball. Truchin will enter this new chapter in her life to better her skill and pay tribute to those who got her to where she is today.