Torrance Takes CIF!

Torrance Takes CIF!

The champs are here! The Torrance High Football team has procured the title of DIvision 10 CIF Champions of 2023 beating West Covina 23-7 at West Covina High School on Saturday, November 25th.

The sight this past Thanksgiving weekend in West Covina was one to behold. After the clock ran out, a sea of Tartar alumni, families, staff, coaches, players, and students alike ran onto the field cheering and chanting for the Torrance team—applauding them for their latest victory. 

“Felt pretty exciting…felt pretty good but as you know the job isn’t finished” shares running back Ryan Young—about seeing all the familiar faces on the field that night.

The Tartars arrived to West Covina early and excited to play their best game of their season, feeling in their hearts that even though they had made it so far all of their hard work would be for nothing if they fell short..

Knowing that any small slip up could be the end of their streak, the Tartars brought everything they had and left it all on the field. 

Senior running back for Torrance Football, Young—who has continued to outdo himself each game—gained 2 50+ yard runs contributing to the team’s overall advancement and eventual triumph in the game. Ambitious defensive linemen Jaylen Jerrell and Makaio Sanders each with a sack against the West Covina quarterback Chris Perez, evoked big reactions from the crowd and team earning Sanders well over 10 sacks this season: which is no easy feat. In the game junior linebacker Jake Silverman proved himself a crucial team player having scored 2 out of 3 of the touchdowns against the Bulldogs. Moreover, on the last TD (defensive/tight) end Joshua Radeke made way and made himself available for the catch from QB Connor Shearing for 6 more points with 7:03 left on the clock—this phenomenon animated the crowd as no one anticipated this behavior from a lineman! 

In game the Tartar team stayed dominant and aggressive—pushing back against the Bulldogs—maintaining an advantage at the end of each half. Tartar Football went on to make history that night bringing home a plaque and initiating the celebration for all of Torrance.

“I always knew we had the talent…I knew this team was special” remarks Young, and special they were. The community in Torrance has since been rejoicing and proud of the efforts posed by this year’s varsity football team.