Torrance vs. Da Vinci

Torrance vs. Da Vinci

Torrance High School’s swim team competed against Da Vinci High School of El Segundo on March 4. Torrance Girls Varsity outscored DaVinci 84-81, Boys Varsity lost 47-115, Girls Junior Varsity lost 54-71, and Boy’s Junior Varsity won 49-36. 

Torrance did well in their 200 Medley relay winning 1st and 2nd for Girls Varsity and 2nd for Boys Varsity. 200 Medley Relay is an event where a team of four swim 50 yards each. The first swimmer swims backstroke, the second swims breaststroke, the third swims butterfly, and the last swimmer swims freestyle.

Another highlight of the match was Torrance’s sweep of the Girls Varsity 200-yard freestyle. Torrance freshman Mia Kuwabara won first, Junior Lillian Schulz won second, and Rileigh Clark, a senior, won third. Lillian said “I was nervous swimming this event because I have not competed in it for a while. While swimming I kept calm and paced myself, focusing on myself. I really enjoyed swimming in this event and hope I can compete in it again. I am excited to improve my pacing skills and time.” 

Torrance sophomore Kaela Hashimoto made Division 3 consideration with a time of 5:55.92 for 500 Freestyle and was a new personal record. When she made Division 3 consideration, it was a chance of going to CIF. The coaches will choose the Girls Varsity swimmers with the best times out of who swam the 500 under 6:13.62. Other varsity first-place winners were Junior Emily Hwang in 200-yard IM and 100-yard freestyle, and freshman Ryan Hong in 50-yard and 100-yard freestyle. 

Overall, Torrance did very well and has been practicing hard to work on their times and technique. They are looking forward to improving throughout the season and to have fun.