Torrance News Torch

The Student News Site of Torrance High School

Torrance News Torch

Torrance News Torch

Water Polo Wins First League Game

Torrance starts league 1-0 after beating North
13.0.0
13.0.0

Torrance’s Boys Water Polo played their first league game at North High School on Thursday, September 21st. Torrance got off to a rough start but rallied to get ahead by the end of the quarter leaving the score 5-3. 

In water polo, when a quarter begins, to figure out which team has possession of the ball the referee throws the ball in equal distance from one side of the pool to the other. Both teams start on the opposite side of the pool from one another and the sprinter, the fastest on the team, will do their best to get to the ball first. North’s sprinter won the first two quarter sprints, but their offense was no match for our defense. Our goalie, THS senior Markus Leon, blocked several goals and kept them from scoring the majority of the game allowing us to score goals while North could not. After some minor hiccups in the first quarter, Torrance was able to gain the upper-hand in the rest of the game with North scoring 0 in the third. Our sprinter, THS junior Ben Ertzman pulled through and won both the third and fourth quarter sprints. In the second and third quarter, Torrance scored 3 in both quarters. With the 8 goal difference, it allowed everyone to play during the game. Overall Torrance High won by almost ten goals, 15-4 and did an outstanding job while facing North.