Torrance News Torch

The Student News Site of Torrance High School

Torrance News Torch

Torrance News Torch

Old Style is the New Style

Homecoming is right around the corner. Here’s what to wear.

Homecoming is the first dance of the school year, and who would want to miss it? It’s a semi-formal party that’s perfect for having a blast with your friends, busting it down on the dance floor, and having a good time, but before you can do that, you have to figure out what to wear. That’s right, you can’t show up in a t-shirt and jeans, it’s time to dig in your wardrobe and find the perfect outfit for the occasion. 

This year the theme for Homecoming is “Old Hollywood”, so if you want to match the theme and have fun with your look, let’s explore the many possibilities of what you can wear so you can walk down the red carpet looking like the star you are!

Mrs. Phoonphiphatana (or Mrs. P), the Fashion teacher, was generous enough to give her professional insight on how students can excel in their look for homecoming this year.

“When people think of old Hollywood, they mainly think of the 30s and 40s. The style for females at the time were silky bias cut dresses, soft waves, pronounced lips, and overall just a very romantic look. For men, it’s a variation of a suit, typically a 3-piece suit with a waistcoat or vest, as well as very slicked, combed back hair. It doesn’t even have to be a 3-piece suit, any variation of a suit can work as long as it gives off that vibe of being dressed up to go to the Oscars. Fedoras were worn back then as well, but they weren’t really worn in the evening.”

Students were also curious about the ways in which they can accessorize their outfits to enhance their look and steal the spotlight, and Mrs. P was there to answer.

“If students want to successfully match the old Hollywood feel, they can try adding bracelets, a long necklace, long gloves, or maybe even a shoe with some metallic. Blingy jewelry is also a great way to capture the fancy movie star look, even a hair clip that might have some sort of bling will do the trick. If you want to keep warm, you can add in a faux fur scarf, or anything that’s a silky, satiny material.”

Some students might not want to go all out on the theme, and that’s perfectly okay! There are other ways you can dress modernly yet still match the essence of the night. Just as Mrs. P mentioned before, dresses with a silky material go great with the theme, and you can even go for a dress that’s sparkly or glittery. If you don’t want to wear the specific attire that typically matches the old Hollywood style, try wearing outfits with red, black, white, gold, or even silver!

At the end of the day, you’ll look great no matter what. Finding the perfect dress or suit to wear is one thing, but the most important part of Homecoming is to have fun and make memories.