Club Info Day

Club Info Day

Tartars shop for club to join during Wednesday’s lunch.

Club Info Day took off during lunch at the quad on Wednesday, September 13th, where students were able to look around at all the 43 clubs Torrance High School had to offer. It was a vibrant day full of kids handing out flyers, discussing their clubs, and walking around to find what would be the best fit for them, or even looking to join something out of their comfort zone. 

Amidst the crowd of various students, we asked a random few on what clubs they were interested in joining. First we went to up to Keylen Schwenke, where he told us that “I want to join GSA because I appreciate the LGBTQIA+ community and I want to meet new people that are similar to me.”

Hailey Rivas added on to the question and told us what she was looking forward to. “I’m interested in the Botany Society because my mom gardens a lot and I want to join in too. I also want to help maintain the school’s plants and gardens.”

We got one more opinion from Benjamin Ertzman who stated that, “I’m thinking about being a part of FCA and Varsity Club because I play a lot of sports and wanted to join clubs related to sports.”

We also went up to different students running club booths at club info day and asked them why students should consider joining interest, service, and cultural clubs. Mali Lacayo spoke on behalf of the interest clubs and said, “Students should sign up for interest clubs because it gives them the opportunity to express and explore their interests in school, all while having fun and making friends along the way.”

Continuing, Neha Manoj gave her thoughts on why people should consider joining culture clubs as well, telling students that, “I believe people should consider becoming members of culture clubs because they can experience different cultures and learn more about cultures they may not know about or be a part of.”

Lastly, we interviewed Maya Okada, a board member of Tartar Ladies, who gave us her take on why she believes people should join service clubs. “People should join service clubs because they can give back to their community and meet new people with similar interests, all while helping those in need.” 

Lastly, we interviewed a student, Ari Costello, on what club they recommended joining. “If I were to recommend a club to join, it would be the Dungeons and Dragons Club. It’s a very fun club where you can meet new people, and it has such a friendly community. You can also explore fun fantasy worlds, go on adventures with players, and make your own character.”

It is also worth noting that there are 3 new clubs at Torrance High this year: Book Club, Chinese-Vietnamese Club, and Mediterranean Club. The co-representative of the Chinese-Vietnamese club, Mya Tran, revealed the reason for why she started a new club. 

“We created the Chinese-Vietnamese club to help create a community with the people who are interested in Vietnamese and Chinese culture here, since we don’t have a lot of people of that ethnicity here in Torrance High. It’s a great community to create new relationships and find people that you can connect with.”

It appears that Torrance High’s Club Info Day was a hit once again, and that many students will be engaging in an abundance of clubs this year. There’s a club for almost every hobby, interest, volunteer service, academic interest, and culture out there, so why not join in on the fun and try something new?